Tuesday, August 07, 2007

One of those days

"I ain't never love a man"-Aretha Franklin

I had a chance to view some documents today. It's interesting to find out about your heritage. When people asked me about the spelling of my name or my facial feature I never had an explanation. I abbreviated my name altogether. People always wonder about my strong facial features (my cheek bones in particular) and I finally have something to tell them. For some reason people thought I was African or from the Caribbean, but after reading this I realize my great-great-grandmother was 100% Creek Indian. I'm not sure if that would have a strong influence on my appearance, but it gives me some explanation. I definitely caught that short gene she cursed me with (I'm 5'8). However, I look a lot like my dad, so I wonder what's his genetic make up? All of them are tall and dark skin. I missed the tall, but I did get the dark skin. I'm not close with them at all. I was once upon, but I outgrew my father's lies and now he dead. I became close with them for a short season after that, then we went back to our regular lives without each other.

It's one of those days when you contemplate your life and why you have that "something is missing" feeling. Two things stood out when it comes to missing. One being the job and the other is social/love life. I think I just need a job that actually means something. I need to do something that helps people or at the very least makes me feel like I went to college for something. Two the social aspect is something I directly affect, so there is nothing to talk about there just fix it.

4 comments:

D.LavarJames said...

Finding out your heritage can be a very rewarding experience. How did you go about doing it?

I love hearing about my family back in the day and seeing old pictures of folks, mainly from my maternal grandmother.
I didn't grown up around my biological father's family cuz of his nonsense, (he passed before any of it was resolved as well, and I look just like him too) so I'm still learning things about them now since I've gotten older. I was shocked to find out his father was half black and italian, and then there are other races and mixes on both sides.

One day I will get around to knowing everything I suppose.

ps. there's nothin wrong with bein 5'8, I'm that size... errr maybe a little shorter, lol

Waddie G. said...

I am going thru some similar situtations.

1. I realized what's making me missing my blessings. I am unorganized.

2. I just discovered my family back to the end of slavery on my mom's side of thhe family by attending my first family reunion.

Mr. Jones said...

Good for you. I've always wanted to trace my heritage. People ask about my ethnicity all the time and I tell them I'm black b/c thats what I identify with, but it's more than obvious that down the line there was something else mixed in there.

yet another black guy said...

i must be a loser, i've never wanted to trace my family tree. i always wanted to disappear and forget them and start another family.

if you need to move on career wise, go for it. nothing worse than going to work wondering why you're wasting your time someplace that does nothing for you, besides the check.