Monday, July 07, 2008

My daddy

How has your relationship with your father influenced your relationship with men? Even if he was absent,, you had an ideal of how fathers behaved and cared for their child. For example, If your father was absent does that make you more independent or dependent upon the men you date? I know we may not want to acknowledge our fathers in some cases, but it's worth exploring. It's not something we can just ignore. Our relationship with our parents or lack there is fundamental in our interaction with others.

My father was absent for the most part. He was a hustler. We interacted a lot when I was younger, but as I grew older I was able to see the bullsh*t more clearly. The empty promises and the lack of consistency made me cut him off. On the other hand, my father was very cool, carefree, and very affectionate towards me. Now, my relationship with men is so straight up. If you look like you could possibly have some bullsh*t going on I stop communicating with you immediately (in most cases). See where I'm going?

4 comments:

Infamous said...

Well I've lived with my dad for the majority of my life. Too bad he is a liar and is for the most part untrustworthy. I learned when I got old enough to work that my dad pretty much looked out for himself which made me selfish towards him. Its carried over into my relationships because I can be selfish at times. I'm also not that affectionate, and I wasn't ever really affectionate towards my parents so that probably has a lot to do with it.

4GOTTEN1 said...

Me and Pops had a very rocky relationship and we still do. I never quite understood him and he never quite understood me. I knew he loved me that was never an issue. I never trusted pops though because i never quite understood him. I knew him well but never understood him. If anything it had a reverse reaction on my relationships with men. I love real hard i'm a very trusting guy. I'm not afraid to be hurt. I can see a liar from a continent away.

D-Place said...

Very valid point. The key is recognizing it and knowing how you want your relationships to be.

Chet said...

I grew up in a two parent home my parents were old school for sure and dad didn't show love the way mom did he was the silent type, but his love was felt. I was grown before I honestly realized how much my daddy loved me, I thought he cared, but he showed real love and helped me to become a better man than I had been previously. He knew for the longest time that I was queer, but never let on and didn't tolerate anyone disrespecting me or my character.

I only wish that I knew how my dad kept his relationship with my mother for more than 40 years before his passing? I truly do not do well in relationships with other men because I do not see the values in them my daddy had.