Monday, July 21, 2008

Flashing Lights

Playing~"Need You Bad"-Jazmin Sullivan


I was offered a job that has me debating about my stay in Atlanta. The job will pay a couple thousand more and I will not pay state taxes, which will make the raise $5-7 thousand. It's in an industry I really don't know anything about, but I've worked the operations manager before, so he wants me to join his team. If I take the job I have to say bye bye to Atlanta, Ga.

This opportunity has caused me to reflect on my time here and why I came to Atlanta. I saw Atlanta as the promise land for black people. Anytime I visited I saw young black professionals all around town in their nice cars, eating at nice restaurants, etc. Atlanta seemed like the place to be if you were an up and coming young black professional. I also saw Atlanta as a place for me to explore my sexuality. I thought to myself, "I will have the freedom there to satisfy my curiosity".

I've been thinking about my progress in those two areas. Professionally, I'm not doing bad, but I'm definitely not what I envision in my head. I'm working my little a** off. There is no glamour! I make decent money. My potential growth with the company is high, but sometimes I absolutely loath my job. All in all, is not bad.

My sexuality has been explored to a decent degree. The first year I was here I didn't explore much at all. Plan B came into the picture and stirred things up a bit. Other than him I ran into a few freaks. They just wanted to get f**ked or f**k me, which immediately turned me off. Well, one was MY GOD (raises his hand in praise)! I've been to a couple of clubs (~4). Other than that nothing!

I'm wondering to myself was I allured by the flashing lights and how long am I willing to wait for one to shine on me. Should I take the money, pack up my crap and move to Florida?

Playing~"should I go"-Brandy

5 comments:

Turn me up a lil said...

well the raise is a big push to move, but what I would do ( and I know its basic) is make a pro/con list.

Also I would think about how important was it for you to explore your sexuality while you were in ATL. was that a big reason to move to ATL or was it just because you were going to move there?

Oh and thaks for the love sir!

Corey Keith said...

HELL NO!!! This Atlanta! And you clearly have so many other lessons to learn...

"Other than him I ran into a few freaks. They just wanted to f**k me, which immediately turned me off."

Umm, did we meet?

E. Terrell said...

I think that you really have to weigh your options in Atlanta... it appears to me that there is more growth that needs to take place in Atlanta for you... I think that we make decision base on one thing and when it's not quite the expectation we want to abandon rather that allowing ourselves to be open to the resistance that is needed for change and growth

. said...

first of all what do you know about "should i go'?
lol

while a raise would be nice, if you think you can have longevity at this job your at and build yourself a nice career there, maybe you should consider staying where you're at. maybe you haven't seen all that atlanta has to offer for you.

have you prayed for direction?
maybe you should sit a minute and allow the direction to come. you'll find your answer man. i have faith.

bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

5-7 K after taxes isn't enough for you to uproot yourself so I would pay more attention to the career advancing opportunity being offered by this other position. If the potential opportunity doesn't outweigh the current career path you're on then I say let it pass. Trust me, in the past month I've let 2 postions going with serious financial gains but the career advancing opportunities were not there. Money will come baby boy. Remain focused!

~Damnit!