Friday, January 05, 2007

Experiencing Corporate American

Playing~"Half Crazy"~Musiq

Being a fairly recent college graduate this is my first time working for a corporation. I'm learning perception is everything (it's second only to politics). The political game, is a game I have to learn to play. I keep a positive attitude and somehow I always make everyone laugh, so I'm already two steps ahead of the game. Corporations are very shady to me. I experienced it for the first time this week (it reminds me of political games we played in college).

Myself and another new hire came on at the same time. They told us when we got there what the deal was. We may or may not keep either of you. If the budget permits, we will keep one and release the other. We both are on contract, so being unemployed wasn't a fear. We wouldn't work at that relocation, but we would find a job. Well, last week I got the news that I was chosen and the other new hire wasn't. It was a lot of behind closed doors meeting and maneuvering behind peoples back and somehow I missed 98% of it. Now, they are saying they don't know what they are going to do with the other new hire. Even though she is on contract, they are playing around with everything. We are cool, so it's weird now. It's like I snatched her feet from under her, but I didn't, I was just doing my job. I truly think my attitude worked for me this time. She is very much in your face and I'm more passive (compared to her). I consider this job a bridge to over troubled water. I see no need to be aggressive on this career, but she does. She wants to stay in this industry, but I could do without it. Me being selected was a secretive thing and apparently someone else thought they had it. I didn't interview, so I didn't know it was a big deal, but apparently it is. Now I'm faced with the undertones of fake "congrats". Question for more season Corporate America Employees: Does it get any better? I think they are mistaken my team player/nice guy attitude as weakness or a opportunity for them to advance their agenda at my expense. They really have the wrong guy, so I'm going to help them out real soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

politics and personality issues may have been a factor in their decision but most likely it probably came down to who was best qualified for the job and of course what the budget allowed for

so don’t feel bad about getting the position … they were the ones who made the decision not u … i’m sure your co-worker realizes this

if u are feeling used by your employer u are not alone in feeling this way but remember u are using them too. for example u’re getting a paycheck as well as real world experience and on the job training which u will be able to use on future jobs. so its better to think of the employer/employee connection as a symbiotic relationship where they get what they need from u and u get what u need from them

El Alexander said...

Great things come to those who stand and wait their turn… Never lose ya ground

Anonymous said...

Interesting post my man. Like yourself i find myself more along the lines of passive aggressive. I find passive being comfotable but i can be aggressive when i see that people misunderstand me.

Never fault yourself for your success! You earned it by being who you are. Corporate america pimps people all day everyday, consider it modern day slavery. This time you were the one in the house and not on the auction block. Be you and keep it pushin man. Look forward to reading more. Welcome to the A!

B Free